This article from People magazine passes on a list of “six potential warning signs for potential school shooters”, from an organization called Sandy Hook Promise. Let’s take 5 minutes to learn them (headings are mine):
- Gun obsession: School shooters typically exhibit a strong fascination or obsession with firearms.
- Aggression: School shooters often overreact or act out aggressively for seemingly minor reasons.
- Victims of bullying: Perpetrators of self-harm or violence towards others may be victims of prolonged bullying and may also have real of perceived feelings of being picked on or persecuted by others.
- Gun training: These students also usually study firearm techniques and training, and are equally fascinated by mass shootings.
- Access to guns: School shooters almost always have unsupervised, illegal or easy access to firearms, and often brag about such access.
- Violence, academic apathy: One should also look for gestures of violence and low commitment or aspirations towards school, or a sudden change in academic performance.
You can read more, sign up, and donate to SandyHookPromise.org.